Pages

Monday, June 3, 2013

Mowing the Lawn and Apple Trees



My yard grows unnaturally fast when it rains. I could mow it two times a week and still not keep up with it. However, I truly enjoy mowing the yard. The mower is so loud that no one can disturb me because I can't hear them. I get to be lost in my own thoughts while I attack the grass with the precision of a military action. That's why I mow instead of someone else- I'm pretty picky about it. This time of year the front yard is my favorite. We have a lot of huge lilac bushes and they are all in bloom so their fragrance is all over the yard. I also have a Jonathan apple tree crossed with a choke cherry tree and there is also some other kind of apple tree (crab?), so when everything is in bloom with the lilacs, instead of a putrid, too-much perfume scent one would expect, it actually smells really nice. (Move over Fabreeze!)When we moved here sixteen years ago, we couldn't tell what kind of tree that apple-cherry cross was; couldn't even tell it was a cross. There was no label on any of the limbs to give it away and since the farm had been abandoned the year before, no one in the area knew what it was either. It took ten years for it to do anything but grow. I thought it was a choke cherry tree as there was another one nearby in front of a window (we cut it down as it really is not a good idea to plant a tree next to the foundation of the house and it kept interfering with the operation of the window). That mixed tree looks a little strange, but I tried to trim out most of the cherry to leave the apple, and I'm afraid I may have trimmed out the wrong limbs. It seems mostly cherry this year. Rats. Anybody know what I can do with the cherries besides make wine or attract birds?

       What happens when you have a grafted tree (cherry-apple cross)? You get a Chapple Tree!
        This is a shot of my crazy, mixed up tree with both fruits on it. Isn't that wild!


I noticed that one of those rabbits that took up residence in our machine shed went from hopping lazily across the yard to running really fast. Man, that bunny could really go too. I knew the dogs were in the house, so they weren't chasing it, and Chaos would only go a couple feet and stop anyway; the bunnies know this by now. Then I saw a shadow cross the lawn and I looked up. I should carry a camera or my cell phone which has a camera, when I mow. There was a beautiful bald eagle gliding on the breeze. It's hard to miss that black body with the white head and tail. Bunny must have thought he was cruising for his dinner. Eagles used to live in a tree across from my house but a storm took out their nest and the tree a few years ago. They must have rebuilt at my neighbors farm across what is now my corn field to the east. He has lots of trees and I saw the eagle head that way. I used to love watching them go after the field mice (and thanked them) as they fed their eaglets. It was cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment