Pages

Sunday, June 23, 2013

Mystery Weeds!



I have mentioned that someone has to walk the fence daily to make sure it is still attached and working since deer seem to like tearing it down and sometimes those cows just don't care if they get shocked. I went around a few weeks ago and sprayed underneath the fence to kill off any weeds and grass that could grow into the wire and ground it, preventing the electricity from finishing the circuit. There were areas I couldn't spray because they were too close to water or just plain standing in water (we've had a lot of rain). Trees got in the way of the tractor too. Imagine that; trees don't just move so the tractor can get through!

I have come across some wild strawberry plants growing out there that produce all plant and almost no berry. Odd that I can't even get tame strawberries to grow in my garden but wild ones are taking over the woods and cow pasture. There are some other weeds growing too and I had to look them up to make sure they weren't really 'weed' weeds. I swear we didn't plant them. Turns out it's wild hemp, also known as a variety of pig weed, and just so you know, the ingredient that causes one to get high in the real thing, THC, is not in hemp, so trespassers beware. We won't take it lightly if you come on to our land looking for something that isn't there. Sure looks like the real thing though. What do you think?

                                                   Wild Strawberries and the 'Mystery Weed'
                                         I swear it really is wild hemp or pig weed. Looks real though.

No comments:

Post a Comment