Pages

Friday, May 31, 2013

Mother Nature - Make Up Your Mind!



This has been some strange year. I think that every year actually. This year it warmed up and then got cold and then repeated several times. It went from eighty degrees at the end of April to nine inches of snow May second, which melted and replaced itself with two more inches by the fourth and then of course melted. Mud is everywhere.

It finally warmed up so I could plant all those plants I ordered for my garden. My brother talked me into planting my potatoes in old hay bales. I looked it up to see if it was an actual way of planting them before I did it and it was. However, it takes massive amounts of water to keep the hay bales hydrated and now that it seems to be raining every day and going from below freezing to eighty in a day, the bales are molding instead of producing potatoes. I don't think I'll do it again next year. I am thinking of replanting potatoes in dirt already for this year. Naturally, as soon as I got that garden all ready and planted asparagus it rained and filled the trenches with so much water I think it drowned the roots. I had also planted strawberries and they too are suffering the effects of the weather. I think I have maybe four out of thirty plants left. The only thins 'happy' are the onions. I planted four rows each of various beans and peas and the seeds are not doing well. Finally, some of the beans are coming up, and for some reason the lettuce survived the deluge of rain. The spinach and cucumbers washed away. Luckily, I had started some cucumber plants indoors, so as long as the rain and too cool weather doesn't kill those off too, I might actually get some cucumbers.
                                         Obviously we couldn't cover the entire tree.

It seems when we need it warm; it's cold. When we need it dry; it's wet. When we need it wet; it's dry. We wrapped a couple of our smaller apple trees to protect them from the freeze, and then it turned out the ones that didn't get wrapped came out okay, then it rained and the wind blew like crazy and blew a lot of the blooms off. Last year's drought killed my blueberries, possibly the cherries, and one of my plumb trees. So, to anyone who thinks farming is easy- think again. It's a hard job keeping our family fed and possibly yours too for those who sell excess veggies at the farmer's market. I used to do that too, but that's another post!

                                 An older apple tree in full bloom- That's what they should all look like!

No comments:

Post a Comment