Pages

Monday, September 14, 2015

Implements of Husbandry?



I've heard a lot over the months about new highway laws regarding implements of husbandry. The government sure uses strange terms. Implements of husbandry actually refers to farm equipment. Now, if someone would please tell me where they get that name, I would really appreciate it. The implement part I get, but the husbandry part I don’t. My HUSBAND doesn’t even know where it comes from. It’s not like one can marry a piece of farm equipment or have an inappropriate (or supernatural) relationship with it and create children. 

I could understand farm animals (males) being referred to as husbandry, because of the obvious need of a male to make more farm animals. Yes, I know, people use artificial insemination, but it wasn’t artificially created in a lab somewhere. It came from a male animal. Maybe it is an antiquated term once used to refer to draft horses or oxen used on the farm. (You hear that Budweiser™, you can’t drive your beer to the warehouses anymore using draft horses without a special permit!) 

I even understand the laws changing because equipment is getting larger and heavier and doing damage to paved county roads (that once were gravel), and highways. Fines are unbelievable if one doesn’t get an expensive permit every time they pass over the roadways and they get caught. The places to get the permits are often far from convenient for the farmer who needs them, and trust me, when you need to transport equipment, you need to get going. Sometimes there is only a small window when the weather cooperates and to have to go get a permit might take up that window. Farm equipment doesn’t exactly qualify for NASCAR in speed.  

Wouldn’t you think when they update the laws, they could update the terminology as well?

No comments:

Post a Comment