Pages

Sunday, January 11, 2015

Cows with Funny Names



I told you about our experience with buying cows recently for our new milking parlor system. In all fairness to the people with the nasty barn, they were renting because they too were renovating a barn on the family farmstead and due to the family emergency; that opportunity went away. I’m sure it would have been miles better than the rental. They hated having to sell out. 

Now, a couple years ago I started raising calves in our barn. We initially wanted heifers because we knew we were going to start up milking again, but with the cost of heifers at that time and peoples’ desire to hang on to them, we ended up with a few bulls in the mix and as sale barn calves go, they aren’t all that healthy when you get them for the most part. Me – I keep them at least a week and feed them colostrum and make sure they are healthy before they go. I have no control over what they might catch from someone else’s calves, just as someone else has no control over what any I buy might get from others’. We lost a dozen calves in spite of my best efforts to save them. I also ended up with some called Free Martins. These are calves born as twins to opposing genders. They tend to be sterile for some reason and we ended up with three heifers that were such. They, along with one we bought at about six months old (actually bred when we sold her) had to go. We held on to them until a few months ago when it was apparent they were not going to breed. The fourth one, a red Holstein we bought with a group from a cattle jockey (his job is to find buyers for herds of cattle, as opposed to a hauler who just takes them to market). She was nuts from the get-go but at the time we chalked it up to being hauled around. He had bought her originally and had his hand raise her and the others. He apparently didn’t realize (or maybe he did?) that she was wild natured. She caused so much trouble in the barn and tearing up fences once they were turned out she made the others a bit wild too. Of course she was NOT going in my new parlor. He bought Crazy back assuring us he could work with her. Later he said we were right- she's just nuts.

Crazy did have an odd habit that another one from her group, another red Holstein we named Dot also did following her buddy. They stood on top of the concrete footer the tie stalls were attached to and played with the pipeline that used to be in there. Dot still stands on that footer watching even though the pipeline has been removed. She is really big- not quite as big as Gertrude the Cowzilla, but we did end up with a handful of those heifers I raised that will give her run for her money in size. Dot is actually not that wild now that ‘Crazy’ is gone and she is in the barn again. I finally asked her in frustration one day, “What? Are you Humpy Dumpty? Get down!”

We have one almost completely white, of course named Whitie, that did not want to come back in (none of them did actually) but now is much more calm. Why not? We wait on them hand and hoof. Or is that hoof and hoof? We decided that since she is due first we should try to at least run her through the parlor to get used to it even though we won’t try to milk her yet. You’d have thought we were trying to kill her when we tried to back her out of that stall. She tossed and fought and at one point ended up completely backwards and then turned back around head first to the feed aisle without ever getting out of the stall. My husband actually giggled at her (trust me- this doesn’t happen). Once we finally got her out after about ten minutes of this foolishness, she went right in like knew exactly where she was going and right to where we wanted her in the parlor! When we tried to put her back of course she wouldn’t go. She balked at going back into her stall. She just stood there and stared at it. I finally told the cow next to her stall, one I named Cuddles (more on her in a minute) to turn and let her know it was all right to get back in the stall. I didn’t really think she’d do it, but what the heck. She did it! She turned her head and stared at Whitie a minute, let out a short incomplete moo and turned away. Whitie thought a few seconds and walked calmly into her stall. I looked at my husband, grinned and just shrugged. 

Cuddles is and has always been just the friendliest cow. I can take her head under my arm like a dog and pet her. I scratch her ears, her neck, talk to her. She sniffs me, licks me when I can’t get backed up fast enough, and moves when I tell her to – the right direction. I can get into her stall without fear of being stomped. She might steal my hat though. I’ve had a cow like that before.
Connie, short for Connie Butt Kicker, got her name because she does not like it when someone tries to clean her stall. She also backs way up when someone is front of her unless she is stealing a mouthful of silage from the wheelbarrow as it passes by. She’s real good at that! She got her name as a calf. My husband used to mess up Chuck Norris’ name when Walker Texas Ranger was on and so he called him ‘Johnny Butt Kicker’. Since cows actually use a bit of a round house kick, something she is very good at, I called her Connie Butt Kicker. If I call her name and get her attention she will move and let me clean it and put down fresh bedding, but if not; she will show you the business end of the shovel in a hurry. The jury is still out on whether she will make it in the parlor when the time comes. 

We also have one of the heifers that absolutely refuses to go into the barn. She literally turned and jumped the corral when we tried to get inside and there were four of us! She has strange markings being mostly white on one side of her head and just a wide black smear down her face on the other side. Obviously her name is Stripe. She used to be fairly calm. I don’t know what got into her but she has to come in soon since she is due as far as we know in February to calve. We need a vet to do a pregnancy check on the ones who aren’t obvious to gauge a time frame. Like a rebellious teenager; she doesn’t want to leave her boyfriend. 

We got one from that farm I discussed earlier who is also almost completely all white with a few spots. The people had another one really close in looks that was named Spot. Since the mister kept mistaking the two and his wife had to remind him ‘that’s not spot’ that became her name: Not Spot. She answers to it too. She’s pretty calm and even though her bag isn’t real big, she milks well and it is her first lactation so we’re thinking it will get better next go round. 

At the auction, somehow my husband managed to get three almost identical black or nearly all black cows. They are so similar in size and demeanor they are hard to tell apart. They all three cause trouble, even though they milk calmly for the most part, but they are almost always covered in their own doings, if you know what I mean. We got cow trainers put up mostly because of these three. It takes a while to give them all a shower before every milking.  The hubby named the one that is just about completely all black right down to her udder Pot because she is always the instigator and stirring the pot. The other two have partially white bags so can be distinguished from Pot. I had them named before I realized one had a white spot on its head and her name is actually Blackie. The one without the black spot is Kettle. Yep, couldn’t tell them apart any more than Pot could so we got Pot called Kettle Black. It’s a catchy way to remember it. One has fat teats and the other skinny, otherwise I couldn’t tell them apart from my angle in the parlor. 

We were feeding the milking cows the other morning after I was done cleaning the milk house and the heifers were singing or something. They kept saying in tandem Moo in a low hushed tone, almost chanting. I told my husband they were either doing yoga or meditating, or maybe they were anticipating their silage and singing the Campbell’s Soup commercial theme song: Mmmm Good! He said, “I think you’re right!”

                                                        Dot: thinks she's Humpty Dumpty

                          
                                                        Cuddles: thinks she's a puppy dog
                                                        Whitie: balky giant white cow
                   Stripe: doesn't want to leave the bull. It's cold outside, stupid. Come in to the barn!
     Dutchy: a/k/a Pig (from previous post). The face of evil, or someone read her Fifty Shades of Grey, because she is really into bondage! Belted Dutch with jersey red ears.

No comments:

Post a Comment