Pages

Sunday, February 23, 2014

Want to Save Some Money? Have I got a Few Websites for You!

Many of us want to be able to live frugally and be self-sustaining rather than depending on the store for everything we use. I know to most people that is a foreign concept - I've heard horror stories of people going to a school to chat with students about where their food comes from and they will argue with the presenter that it comes from the store; not the farm. How ridiculous is that? One of my 'things' is being able to make as much as I can for myself, but I am not all-knowing, so I rely on websites of those who know what they are talking about for a little assistance. Here are a few that can help you out too.

Budget101.com
Actually, Liss Burnell, Budget 101's founder used to live in the same town I do and I got to know her. She helped me get my website moved to a different host company. She's way more tech-savvy than I am. She is also very good at budgeting and making things one would think they could only BUY at a store. I have been looking for a way to make laundry detergent, for instance, and low and behold she posted one on her website, and it uses an ingredient I already keep on hand- Fels Naptha. Another recipe I have used over the years is for that coffee creamer we like to get in the store. Now, I must admit it is less expensive to buy this, but if you run out and are not able to get to that store (I live a long way from the store) this recipe uses ingredients already on hand, at least at my house, and it works well in a pinch.

Liss has recipes for all sorts of products we usually buy from household cleaning products to quick mixes for dinner and everything in between. She has great homemade gift ideas too. You just have to check out her website to see what all you can find as they are too many to list here. http://www.budget101.com 

There is a Facebook page called Homemade Living Frugally. People can ask questions and Suzanne will do her best to get them an answer from other readers. She also has in lieu of a website (or as a website) a forum board, http://homemadeliving.freeforums.net/ where you can ask questions and find answers, or give the answers if you have them to others' questions. Great concept!

There are a number of blogs out there too if you want to cook really great food or for farming (small and large) that I like to visit. 
http://sweetteaandcornbread.blogspot.com,
http://jimmycrackedcorn.wordpress.com,
 http://adventuresinthegoodland.blogspot.com

Of course, you can use a search engine for frugal living sites on your own and find a plethora of ideas. That is how I usually find them.Some ideas I get from actually talking to people who have done it so don't be afraid to go up to that farmer and ask them how they get that particular plant to grow so well or where they came up with the idea for something. I recently subscribed to Farm Show Magazine. It has ideas on how to make things (or remake things) useful for farmers that either are not available in the stores or may be too expensive to buy. Some people just look at and say, "Why didn't I think of that?" I do.

You can also find a number of books and e-books on the subjects you seek. They can be found at retailers such as Amazon.com ( I have a handy page you can use too!).

*No one in this article has asked me to recommend their websites or blogs. I was not paid for any recommendations either. For Amazon.com, if you use my link I make a small amount of money, but it does not cost you anymore and they do not tell me who bought anything (or what they bought) or who may have used my link.
                                    

No comments:

Post a Comment